How to Run a DI Information Night
Word-of-mouth would probably suffice to recruit enough members for a single DI team. However, many more children will have the opportunity to try DI if you can get the word out to all of the other parents at your school.
In order to do this, you’ll want to schedule a DI Information Night at your school. Here’s how:
- Choose a Date. Get on your school calendar. Allow 2-3 weeks for publicizing your event. Note that, when you decide on your date, please let us know! NH-DI can often arrange to have some experienced volunteers attend your DI Night to talk about the program with the parents, and organize some fun activities for the kids.
- Publicize in multiple places. Let lots of people know, and you’ll increase your turnout. Some suggestions include your school website and weekly newsletter, morning announcements, flyers home, a blurb in the community newspaper, or publicity posters. If you have enough help to have a separate room for the kids, it’s a good idea to mention it in the flyer.
- Prepare for the event. Create a sign-up sheet to get kids’ names and contact information as well as a registration form available for parents and kids to fill out and return; give a deadline of a week or two. Be sure to ask parents to help by being team managers, appraisers, gofers, etc. Here are some sample forms that you can customize:
2013-2014 Coordinator Forms
- Present your event! To help you out, NH-DI has a ready-to-run DI Information Night presentation.*** This includes a handy set of slides to use as well as easy-to-prepare activities to do with the kids and parents! All you need are a computer and projector, a few volunteers, and the supplies for the activities.
Download the presentation.
Download the instructions for kids’ activities.
- Follow Up. Contact any interested parents and kids to remind them about the registration form and answer questions that might have come up.
*** For our less-experienced or brand-new coordinators, NH-DI also has a team of people to help you set up and run an Information Night! Contact email@example.com for more information!