CHERRY HILL, N.J., May 7, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Destination Imagination (DI), a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching students the creative process through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), the arts and service learning challenges, will celebrate Global Finals 2014, the world’s largest creative thinking and problem solving competition for students from May 21-24. A record setting 1,414 qualifying teams representing 41 states and 16 countries will travel to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville to compete for the top prize. This year’s competition promises to be the biggest yet, with performances by “America’s Got Talent” finalist David Garibaldi and “American Idol” contestant and DI alumna Rachel Hale.
The teams that qualified at state and country tournaments will present their project and compete in open-ended challenges during the four-day competition. These challenges require the team to solve a problem using a holistic approach of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) knowledge, improvisation, theater arts, writing, project management, communication innovation, teamwork and community service in one of seven challenge categories.
New Hampshire, starting with over 3,000 students and nearly 300 teams will send 40 teams to represent the state. They will compete in their Challenge and age level. [See Team New Hampshire list]
“I look forward to seeing the excitement of students using their reasoning, problem solving skills, courage to take a risk, and perseverance to solve their Challenge,” said Chuck Cadle, Chief Executive Officer of Destination Imagination, Inc. “We are ecstatic to give them a once in a lifetime experience where they learn skills in fun and interactive ways that will be used throughout their life.”
Key Highlights of Global Finals 2014
The celebration kicks off with a Welcome Ceremony on May 21 with:
- David Garibaldi, performance painter and “America’s Got Talent” finalist will create a painting with his body movement (and brushes) to the music’s beat at the Welcome Ceremony.
- DI alumna and “American Idol” contestant, Rachel Hale, will sing the national anthem. In addition, she will host songwriting workshops throughout the week where participants can help her write a DI-inspired song.
- Hands-on science and technology experience will be available at the Innovation Expo that includes:
- 3M Explore The Uncharted allows teams to journey through a simulated rainforest, encountering plants and animals as they work to solve Challenges throughout their adventure.
- The Mayo Clinic, 2014 DI Risorgimento Award Winner, provided expertise to develop a medical and health care based element in the AVA Reset Council Challenge. Participants are asked to run the city of Reset during a crisis by using management skills to solve problems.
- Vizitech USA will allow participants to interact with projected 3D images to deepen their understanding of critical thinking skills and problem solving.
- NASA Marshall Space Flight Center and its Official Visitor Center, the U.S. Space & Rocket Center®, from Huntsville, Alabama, will share an expo booth. The booth will allow students to experience hands-on NASA activities, take a photo with a Mars rover, watch a demonstration of the Multi-Axis Trainer and more as they learn about the work done by NASA in Alabama and at Space Camp®.
Other activities include:
- Luau, Passport Party, Scotch Duct Tape Playground, Closing Celebration and High School College Graduation, which will feature Peter Han, founder of TECxTheWoodlands, who will share the importance of using your talent and imagination to solve problems.
To find information on all of the exhibits, visit http://ow.ly/w5q25 and to see the schedule of events, visit:http://globalfinals.org/event-schedule.
Sharing the Excitement with Those Unable to Attend
Those unable to attend Global Finals will be able to view a livestream of the welcome and closing ceremonies on DI-TV, sponsored by IBM. Throughout the week, DI-TV will broadcast student reporter interviews, footage from the tournament and Innovation Expo, information about upcoming events, sponsor and partner interviews, and educator interviews atwww.globalfinals.org. For those following the ceremonies on social media, get involved with our live Twitter stream by following our @GlobalFinals handle and using hashtags #IamDI and #GlobalFinals14.
Tweet This: Destination Imagination Kicks off 2014 @GlobalFinals on May 21#GlobalFinals14.
About Destination Imagination
Destination Imagination, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) cause-drive, volunteer-led non-profit organization that helps children discover their creative processes. The most popular education offering is the Challenge Program, where student teams solve open-ended Challenges and present their solutions at tournaments. Founded in 1982, Destination Imagination has impacted more than 1.5 million students. To learn more, please visit http://www.destinationimagination.org.
Logo – http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120510/DC05048LOGO