Destination Imagination has released the 2012-2013 Challenges! We’ve already heard from a number of people who have read this season’s Team Challenges, and all of them were very impressed. One person described them as “the best ever!”
In case you aren’t familiar with Destination Imagination’s Challenge Program, seven new Challenges are written each year. Every DI team will spend 2 to 4 months creating their own solution for one of the available Challenges. The team-created solutions are assessed at regional, state, or international tournaments.
Each Challenge is approximately 8 to 15 pages long, and is developed by a team of educators and industry experts who target a particular area of the curriculum, and its related standards of content and performance. The areas of focus include: Technical, Scientific, Fine Arts, Improvisational, Structural and Service Learning. There is also a non-competitive Early Learning Challenge that allows participants to develop social and problem solving skills.
This year’s Challenges are:
- In the Zone (Technical). Your vehicles are cranked and ready to tell their story. Will you push it, play it safe, or take the big risk? Just make sure you get In the Zone!
- Wind Visible (Scientific). Art can begin with a flick of the wrist, but can it ride on the wind? If you take on this Challenge, you’ll imagine a character so light and airy that it could slip, slide and sail away!
- In Disguise (Fine Arts). With the right camouflage, you can become anyone or anything. Superheroes and chameleons change themselves every day! Who will you be when you take the mask away?
- Change in Realitee (Improvisational). The world has undergone a dramatic change overnight! OK team, grab some T-shirts and markers and see if you can make sense of this Change in RealiTee!
- Twist-O-Rama (Structural). Let’s do the twist! It goes like this: Build a structure that can survive a serious hit while holding weight. That’s what we’re torqueing about!
- Real to Reel (Service Learning). LIGHTS: See a community need? CAMERA: Solve the problem the best way you can! ACTION: Then unveil your documentary film to a captivated audience.
- Roy G BIV (Early Learning). The colors of the rainbow are everywhere you look. In this Challenge, it is time to celebrate them all on ROY G. BIV’s birthday. Pick your favorite color and join the party!
For more details about these new Challenges, visit our Challenge Summaries page. Once you’re ready to get started, proceed to the Register a Team page, which explains how to select and order your Team Pack. This will include both printed and downloadable electronic copies of the complete Challenges.
Finally, if you’re new to DI, please come to NH-DI’s New Team Manager training! We want to do everything we can to ensure that every participant gets the most out of their DI experience, and coming to our training is the very best way to make sure that your team gets off to a great start. We promise that you will have fun!
This workshop is scheduled for Saturday, October 27, 2012, and it will be repeated at our Team Manager Café on Saturday, November 17, 2012. What’s more, if you’re new and you come to the FIRST training in October, you can come to the second training in November (with more workshops on more topics) for FREE!