A Destination ImagiNation Challenge is an exercise that socially and intellectually activates students by prompting them to use creativity and teamwork to solve a problem. Every season, teams of up to seven members focus on designing and creating solutions to two separate types of Challenges: Team Challenges and Instant Challenges.
Team Challenges are:
- Open-ended and multidisciplinary
- Teams spend several months working on the solution
- Team Challenge of their choice, and they present their solutions at Tournaments.
- Each of the six competitive Team Challenges has a different educational and creative focus including: Community Service, Technical/Mechanical Design, Scientific Exploration and Theater Arts, Theater, Literature, and Fine Arts, Improvisation or Structural/ArchitecturalDesign
There is also a non-competitive Rising Stars! Challenge designed for students in pre-school through 2nd grade that introduces students to teamwork and creative thinking.
- Require teams to engage in quick critical thinking.
- At a Tournament, a team will receive an Instant Challenge and the materials with which to solve it.
- The participants must think on their feet by applying appropriate skills to produce a solution in a period of about seven minutes.
Complete Challenges are available as of September 1 for teams with paid memberships. For more information about starting a team click HERE.
2010-2011 Team Challenge Summaries
Download the Challenge Previews | PDF 4.4Mb
Unidentified Moving Object
A dam breaks, a bridge collapses, the electricity goes out—and the hustle and bustle of city life comes to a screeching halt. Few notice our nation’s infrastructure… until something goes wrong! It will take all your creative powers and construction talents to reach new heights and deliver materials where they’re needed most!
Spinning a Tale
Carousels, Ferris wheels, revolving doors and twirling kids. It’s enough to make you dizzy! Boundless energy, endless revolutions, and never starting or stopping at the same place. Can you write a story that does the same thing? In a world where the end is the beginning, your team will truly come full circle!
Triple Take Road Show
Rock bands, salesmen, authors and politicians all perform on the road. New settings, new audiences, the same stories. Now it’s your turn to pack your bags, go on tour and tell your tale! Your act is sure to be a success, but will it work for an audience of laughing hyenas? How about for menacing ogres or stuffy diplomats? On with the show… again and again!
Calling all fearless, daring adventurers: team up to journey to new lands, stumble across new cultures, and never look back! But can you survive mythical creatures and come home with mementos of your quest? Adventure awaits on this exciting Mythology Mission!
Verses! Foiled Again!
Place weights on a structure of foil, glue and wood, And tell us a story—one that’s thoroughly good! When a character is foiled, what will you do? Will you laugh, will you triumph, or will you be foiled too?
From smoke signals to blogs and texts, people have used communication tools for hundreds of years to connect to each other. Now it’s your turn! Can you unite your community for a cause you care about? If so, you’ll have the power to change the world!
Rising Stars!® (Non-competitive PreK-2nd Grade)
Big Bug’s Bad Day
When Big Bug has a bad day, everyone has a bad day. All of Big Bug’s friends want to get back to having fun. Explore their world and find out what’s bothering Big Bug! Will Big Bug’s Bad Day get better, or will it become an even bigger bummer? It’s up to you!