DIve In! is NH-DI’s annual training workshop for team members
- Each team will participate in an Instant Challenge workshop
- Teams will choose two Skills Workshops from a variety of offerings
- Team Managers: Register for a SPECIAL session with your Affiliate Challenge Master on understanding your team’s Challenge
- We will also have a special session for Rising Stars! teams
- January 11, 2020
- Check-in for the morning session will open around 8:45, and that session will end at about 12:40. Check-in for the afternoon session will open around 1:15 and that session will end at about 5:30.
- Teams can choose to attend either the AM or PM session, or both!
- Southern New Hampshire University, 2500 North River Road, Manchester NH.
- Check-In will be in the Field House this year! Stay tuned for a map and further details.
We encourage all team members to go to sessions that they’re interested in, and become experts on the topic so they can bring what they learn back to the team. EL and ML teams can break up into as many groups as you have chaperones, and SL teams can break up into as many groups as they’d like. The entire team will be together for the Instant Challenge workshop.
Rising Stars have a special session planned just for them! It will be offered in the morning only and there is no need to pick separate sessions – we’ve got you covered!
Take some time to read through the workshop options before you start to register. This will make the process much smoother! Please note that some workshops have “intended audience” information, and some workshops have multiple levels. If you aren’t sure what to pick, we’re happy to help!
- Camera Obscura: The simplest camera is a light-proof box with a small hole (aka lens) on one end and a sheet of opaque paper on the other, projecting the image from the lens onto the paper. In this workshop, we’ll be creating our own pinhole cameras and learning about light and optics — the fundamental principles behind modern cameras and camera techniques.
- Cut, Bend, & Fold: Got any cardboard boxes or tubes ready to recycle? Upcycling cardboard into props can be a great way to keep down the cost of your Team Challenge solution. In this workshop, we’ll show you how to cut, bend, fold, and connect pieces of cardboard to turn it into something amazing!
- Intro to Improv: We are excited this year to bring in NH’s improv experts as guest workshop leaders! Learn the basics of improv and build performance skills with Stranger than Fiction Improv & Comedy.
- Lights, Camera, Reaction: In this workshop, we will be going over theatrical skills to help you perfect your acting in and out of your DI skits. As a sneak peek, some of what we will be going over includes running lines, voice projection and much more, so don’t miss out on your chance to become an Oscar winning actor! (Intended audience: all levels)
- Oops, Didn’t See That Coming!: In DI, as in life, there’s always the chance that something will go awry! The question is, are you prepared to push through the unexpected and come through it? (Intended audience: all levels)
- Spark of Creativity 101 & 201: 101 is an introduction to electricity! This workshop will cover simple battery circuits such as turning on a light. We will also discuss how you can use electronics in a challenge. The 201 level is for those with some experience working with electricity. We’ll get into more complex ideas with circuits such as different types of switches, useful circuit components, and more!
- Story Games: No matter which challenge you choose, you’ll need to create a skit to present it. What are the fundamentals of telling a good story? How can you develop a fun and entertaining way to show off your solution? This workshop will feature some wacky games to get the story ideas rolling.
- This to That!: Learn how to make all kinds of connectors and fasteners! We will be exploring connections of all sorts, stiff and moving joints, methods with and without adhesives, and additional resources to help you make the sturdiest sets and props in the history of DI!
- Tied to DI: Did you know that DI can help you get into college, and succeed in college and beyond? Come learn from alums who have been there about how to best leverage your experiences in DI, and get a little preview of what alumni life could look like! Feel free to come with questions! (Intended audience: high school sophomores/juniors/seniors)
- Up To The Challenge: So you’ve chosen your challenge…Now what? The clock is ticking and March will be here before you know it! In this workshop, your team will learn the best methods for reading the challenge (between the lines too!), time management, and how to achieve planning PERFECTION. (Intended audience: newer teams!)
- Registration deadline is January 3rd! Workshop selection is on a first come, first served basis, so register early to ensure that you get your favorites!
- The registration fee is $10 for each team member ($12 after Jan 3) for the half-day workshop, $20 for a full day. This can be paid through the CampBrain registration website, or you can mail a check. There is no charge for Team Managers or adult helpers accompanying the team.
- SNHU will require a signed release form for each child. You will need to download the form, print out a copy for each team member, and have this signed by their parent or guardian. We will collect the completed forms at check-in.
- Confirmations will be emailed with additional information and directions.
- Teams MUST come with 2 adults (one TM may wish to attend a special workshop).
- Wear appropriate clothes to sit on the floor! We will move between buildings, so dress for the weather!
- All of these sessions make for a long half-day! There will be a snack break, and your team is encouraged to bring snacks!
- Questions? Email email@example.com
Q. Is there a difference between the AM and PM workshops?
A. Aside from Rising Stars which is only offered in the morning, all of the workshops are available all day! Please note Spark of Creativity alternates between the 101 entry level on odd blocks (1, 3, 5, 7) and the 201 level on even blocks (2, 4, 6, 8).
Q. There are too many great options, how can we do more than two workshops?
A. You are welcome to come for the full day! In the morning, you’ll do two workshops and the IC session, and then in the afternoon you can select FOUR blocks of workshops! The cost per team member is $10 per half day, so a full day would be $20 per team member.
Q. What is the timing for the Rising Stars workshop? Will it line up with the other workshops?
A. The Rising Stars workshop will be offered during the morning only, and will take the full time of the AM session.
Q. I was only able to register part of my team for a workshop they all want to do! Is there a way to squeeze them in?
A. In most cases, yes! Depending on the workshop, we are able to override the max capacity to fit in 1-2 more teammates. Just email us!
Q. Is there a snack break?
A. Yes! Teams should pack food, and there will be a scheduled break halfway through for snacks. The SNHU campus is on break, so the on-campus options to purchase food will be limited.
Still got some lingering questions? Reach out to us: