Many schools cover the cost of the DI program (outlined below). In other communities, each team member pitches in to cover the costs. Just what are those expenses, and what are they for?
Team Number and Tournament Registration
Registration consists of two separate steps: Obtaining a Team Number and program materials from Destination Imagination headquarters, and registering for NH-DI tournaments. To get started, you will need to purchase your Team Number and program materials by placing an order at Destination Imagination’s online store.
- Team Number Kit: Most teams should order a Team Number Kit, which includes the required background check for one Team Manager. The total price will be $325, which includes both DI’s $150 charge for the Team Number Kit, and the $175 New Hampshire affiliate fee for regional tournament registration.
- Team Number: This is similar to the Team Number Kit, but it doesn’t include the background check. You should only order this if the Team Manager has another team with a Team Number Kit, or you would prefer to place a separate order for the Team Manager’s mandatory background check.
- Background Check: If your team has more than one Team Manager, you will need to order background checks for the additional Team Manager(s). The price for this is $40.
Once your team numbers have been issued, they should appear on DI’s website immediately, and in NH-DI’s online registration system within a few days. You will then be able to register for a regional tournament.
There are no additional fees for local tournament registration, UNLESS you register late or fail to provide the required volunteers (see Other Fees below for details).
During the season, there may be additional expenses associated with training Team Managers and purchasing supplies for the team’s solution and activities, though teams are encouraged to be both frugal and creative in their use of materials. In addition, most teams also purchase or create team t-shirts.
If you were to add $200 for supplies, team t-shirts, and Team Manager training, the total cost would be $525. That’s about $75 per team member for a team with seven students, and about $65 per member for a seven-member Rising Stars team.
Although this won’t affect most teams, there are situations in which NH-DI must charge an additional fee.
Teams that register for their tournament after the December deadline will need to pay a $25 late fee. Changes made after the deadline that could affect tournament scheduling may also trigger a late fee, such as a change in a team’s Challenge or its competition level.
Every NH team is asked to supply two additional volunteers to work at our tournaments:
- An adult volunteer called an Appraiser, who will help to evaluate team solutions at our tournaments. Appraisers can be anyone 18 years or older who is willing to give up a couple Saturdays of their time: a training day in late January or early February, and then a tournament day in March.
- A two-hour volunteer to help us out at the team’s regional tournament. They might work at the NH-DI concessions table, help to prepare lunch for our Appraisers, or help staff the Information Table.
Some teams may find it difficult to find someone, but these volunteers are vital to making the program run, so this commitment is not to be taken lightly! You can learn more about these volunteer positions on our Providing Volunteers page.
Teams that are unable to provide an Appraiser will be charged a No-Appraiser fee of $175. However, a limited number of teams will be allowed to pay a reduced fee of $75, if they can provide an all-day volunteer at their tournament. This must be one person for the entire day, but they can arrange to take a short break to watch their own team’s performance.
Summary of Fees
|Item||Team Number||Affiliate Fee||Total Per Team|
|Team number with program materials||$150||$175||$325|
Late registration fee
Fee for no Appraiser and no all-day volunteer
Fee to provide an all-day volunteer instead of an Appraiser
Registration fee for new Team Manager training workshop (optional but recommended)
DIve In registration fee (optional but recommended)
|$10 per team member|